19 Mar 2018

Spring sunshine walk, 19 March 2018

Posted by admin

Great afternoon for a bank holiday walk on Cork’s Marina and around the Atlantic Pond :)

    Cork’s Marina, originally called the Navigation Wall, was completed in 1761. In 1820, Cork Harbour Commissioners formed and purchased a locally built dredger. The dredger deposited the silt from the river into wooden barges, which were then towed ashore. The silt was re-deposited behind the Navigation Wall. During the Great Famine, deepening of the river created jobs for 1,000 men who worked on creating the Navigation Wall’s road – The Marina. The environs is also home to three rowing clubs – the Lee Rowing Club founded in 1850, which is the second oldest club in the country; Shandon Boat Club, founded in 1875, and Cork Boat Club founded in 1899 by members of Dolphin Swimming Club – all of which ply the waters of the river regularly and who have annual regattas.

 

Spring sunshine, Marina Cork, 19 March 2018

Spring sunshine, Marina Cork, 19 March 2018

Spring sunshine, Marina Cork, 19 March 2018

Spring sunshine, Marina Cork, 19 March 2018

Spring sunshine, Marina Cork, 19 March 2018

Spring sunshine, Marina Cork, 19 March 2018

Spring sunshine, Atlantic Pond, Cork, 19 March 2018

Spring sunshine, Atlantic Pond, Cork, 19 March 2018

Spring sunshine, Atlantic Pond, Cork, 19 March 2018

Comments are closed.