In January 2015 and January 2020, Kieran was appointed by the Minister for the Environment and Local Government for a five year term to be an Irish member on the European Committee of the Regions (CoR). The CoR is a formal EU institution with 329 members from across the 27 EU Member States. It offers formal opinions to the European Commission and European Parliament on topics, which affect the over 95,000 local authorities and regional assemblies at EU level.
Within SEDEC, Kieran champions the new EU Skills Agenda, informal and formal education, lifelong learning, culture and communities, the Digital Single Market, smart specialisation, science and innovation in regions and cities, cities and regions of the future, youth and sport, and socio-cultural effects of IoT.
Within COTER, Kieran champions the the role and voice of small cities within the EU, the EU Urban Agenda and its partnerships, the sustainable development goals, interregional co-operation programmes and cross-border co-operation, and the dissemination to EU citizens of the work of EU structural funds.
Kieran’s Opinion Documents:
Kieran is CoR Rapporteur on the opinion documents, Digitising European Industry, Building a European Data Economy, and the EU Urban Agenda respectively.
Kieran’s Role Representing the European Alliance Grouping:
Since January 2020 Kieran is President of the European Alliance political grouping at the European Committee of the Regions, and sits on the CoR’s Conference of Presidents and Bureau. He has been very active in championing the importance of the CoR in being a key EU institution and one where the voices of cities and regions are heard at European Commission level.
– Debate with Mr David Sassoli, president of the European Parliament. 144th plenary session of the European Committee of the Regions. 5 May 2021.
– Debate on “The New European Bauhaus and its territorial dimension” high-level event with Ms Mariya Gabriel, European Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth and Ms Elisa Ferreira, European Commissioner for Cohesion and Reforms. 14 April 2021
– Debate with Charles Michel, President of the European Council 143rd Plenary Session of the European Committee of the Regions, 17 March 2021
– Debate on the recovery of the cultural and creative sectors and on the new European Research Area with Mariya Gabriel, European Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth, 4 February 2021.
– Debate on the European Commissions Work Programme 2021 and the first EU Strategic Foresight with Maroš Šefčovič, Maroš Šefčovič, Vice-President of the European Commission for Interinstitutional Relations, 10 December 2020
– Cllr Kieran McCarthy on Brexit: “we must not penalise young people in the EU and UK”, debate with Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, 9 December 2020
– Cllr Kieran McCarthy – European Territorial Co-operation Network Webinar, 1 December 2020
– McCarthy to Merkel: “we need a fair deal between the EU and UK, time is of the essence”, intervention during debate on German Presidency priorities with Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel, 13 October 2020.
– Cllr Kieran McCarthy: “Regions and cities must be at the heart of the delivery of EU’s ambitious targets intervention”, debate on the first Annual Local and Regional Barometer with European Commission President Ursula Von der Leyen, 12 October 2020
– Kieran McCarthy on smaller municipalities, cities, and communes importance in the environment debate, Discussion on the opinion ‘Towards sustainable neighborhoods and small communities – Environment policy below municipal level’, 12 February 2020.
– Leag Kieran McCarthy béim ar thábhacht na héagsúlachta cultúir agus teanga do réigiúin na hEorpa, Discussion on the opinion ‘Culture in a Union that strives for more: the role of regions and cities’, 13 February 2020.
– Cllr Kieran McCarthy, “Together we are Europe”, 5 May 2020
– Kieran McCarthy’s speech during the debate on jobs with Commissioner Schmit, Debate with Nicolas Schmit, Commissioner-designate for Jobs and Social Rights, 4 February 2020
– Kieran McCarthy warns against budget cuts to programmes with high European added value, Debate on developments in the interinstitutional negotiations on the Multiannual Financial Framework with Mr Günther Oettinger, European Commissioner for Budget and Human Resources, 8 October 2019.
– McCarthy: This time I’m voting, 15 May 2019
Kieran McCarthy (IE/EA), member of the European Committee of the Regions and rapporteur for the opinion “Implementation Assessment of the Urban Agenda for the EU”, 4 July 2018.
– Cllr Kieran McCarthy on European Year of Cultural Heritage, 16 May 2018
– Cllr Kieran McCarthy on the importance of cultural heritage and 2018 as the European Year of Cultural Heritage, 5 February 2018