– NEXT free suburban tours with Kieran will be in 2022 (COVID-19 pending).
-EXPLORE more self-guided tours here!
This site hosts a set of digital history trails including the audio trails on the Bridges of Cork and The Marina that can be followed by one’s armchair at home. They are brief historical walking trails of Cork’s City Centre, which cover some of the topics on my physical walking tours. The information is abstracted from various articles from my Our City, Our Town column in the Cork Independent, 1999-present day,
History Trails | Cork Heritage
– WATCH: Duncan speaks to Kieran
– WATCH: Kieran’s Talk on Bridges of Cork, in association with the Cork Harbour Fest, June 2021
– WATCH: The History and Rehabilitation of Daly’s Bridge (The Shakey Bridge) presented by Michael Minehane, Chartered Principal Engineer at RPS and Kieran McCarthy, noted local Cork historian , March 2021.
CLICK here to view the talk:The History & Rehabilitation of Daly’s (Shakey) Bridge, Cork City – YouTube
“As part of the Cork Regional 80th Anniversary celebrations, we are delighted to host this presentation on the history and refurbishment of the iconic “Shakey” Bridge which was originally built under the stewardship of the then City Engineer, SW Farrington, who was also the first Chair of the Cork Region of Engineers Ireland” says Ronan Keane, current Chair. The presentation will outline the social and economic context of the original construction, first opened in 1927, replacing an earlier ferry crossing at the same location. It remains the only suspension bridge in Cork City and is the only surviving bridge of its type in Ireland.
– CHECK out my local history websites for articles, virtual history trails, photographs, and resources for research at http://www.corkheritage.ie