– Next free suburban tours with Kieran will be in autumn of 2021 (COVID-19 pending):
– In the meantime check out my local history websites for articles, virtual history trails, photographs, and resources for research at http://www.corkheritage.ie
– or Take a self-guided tour here! History Trails | Cork Heritage
– WATCH: Duncan Speaks to Kieran McCarthy
– WATCH: Kieran’s Talk on Bridges of Cork, in association with the Cork Harbour Fest, June 2021
– WATCH: The History and Rehabilitation of Daly’s Bridge (The Shakey Bridge) presented by Michael Minehane, Chartered Principal Engineer at RPS and Kieran McCarthy, noted local Cork historian , March 2021.
“As part of the Cork Regional 80th Anniversary celebrations, we are delighted to host this presentation on the history and refurbishment of the iconic “Shakey” Bridge which was originally built under the stewardship of the then City Engineer, SW Farrington, who was also the first Chair of the Cork Region of Engineers Ireland” says Ronan Keane, current Chair. The presentation will outline the social and economic context of the original construction, first opened in 1927, replacing an earlier ferry crossing at the same location. It remains the only suspension bridge in Cork City and is the only surviving bridge of its type in Ireland.