Recent letter circulated to a large majority of Ballinlough Households:
At a recent Douglas Partnership Forum meeting (or Community Policing Forum), a number of issues were raised with recent burglaries and anti-social behaviour in the Ballinlough area. Sergeant Ronan Kenneally outlined the following:
· There is a need for extra vigilance in our communities at the moment. On the point of burglaries, Ballinlough, as well as surrounding areas, has been targeted by criminals from outside Cork. There has been a 34 % detection rate in finding these thieves. In recent days, three vans have been seized, which were operated by bogus callers, who aimed to deceive the general public through providing an odd jobs service (cleaning of gutters etc).
· The Gardaí continue to monitor anti-social behaviour in the green area parks in Ballinlough and the Japanese Gardens and these remain as hotspots for supervision.
· The high level of law abiding off-licences in our area not selling drink to under-age young people is quite positive. However, there are over 18’s buying drink and selling the drink onto minors in the suburbs’ parks. If anyone witnesses people involved in this, take the car registration and report it to Douglas Garda Station, 0214857675.
· The Sergeant has expressed the view that if you have an alarm, put it on plus look out for neighbours and your local community. A special Crime Prevention meeting has been organised in Ballinlough Community Centre on Wednesday 24 October at 7.30p.m, where the focus is on crime prevention especially for older people.
· If you are elderly in particular, do not answer the door to people you don’t know and ask for identification through the letter box.
I also attach a photocopy of a Seniors Alert Scheme Grant Application Form (don’t fill in). A personal alarm/ device can be applied for that when pressed will activate help. It may be of particular use if you suffer from health defects. If one is interested in this scheme, or know someone who is, please contact me and I will apply through Young at Heart, Douglas Senior Citizens group and acquire one for you. My mobile number is 087 655 33 89.
If I can be of any other assistance with the above or other matters, the number above will also reach me or my email is email@example.com,
Cllr. Kieran McCarthy